Saturday, August 17, 2019

My Germany Trip Begins



            Stan, Vanita, Logan, Naomi and Landon pulled in my driveway promptly at 11 a.m. We added the two turquoise carry-on bags that I borrowed from my granddaughter Madison to the pile of suitcases, and we were off, as we say, “like a herd of turtles.” We ate lunch at 5 Guys in Columbia and arrived at the Columbia Airport plenty early, only to learn our flight to Chicago had been delayed an hour due to storms in the “Windy City”. When we went through security, I set off two alarms and had to be patted down by two different female officers. Because we had a child less than two years old, the Webers (and Grandma Harvey) were allowed to board the plane first. A man behind us joked, “I want to be a Weber, too.” With 50 people aboard, The plane was full. The take-off was smooth. The white puffy clouds looked so pretty from above, as they dotted the fields and towns below. 
In less than an hour, we were circling over the blue waters of Lake Michigan and landing at O’Hare.
            We were concerned that we had missed our flight to Munich but soon found out it had been delayed also. As we walked up the ramp into the terminal, a United Airlines worker asked, “Is anyone on this flight going to Munich?” I said yes, and she said, “Run to Charley 29!” She looked at my panicked expression, or maybe it was my gray hair, and said, “Well, don’t hurt yourself, but hurry.” A man standing nearby advised us that it was about a half mile to C29. Logan, Landon and Vanita went ahead, while I went back to tell Stan and Naomi we could still make the flight if we hurried. They were waiting for their suitcases, which were among the last unloaded. I took off walking quickly, wheeling my carry-on and weaving through oncoming people.
Whew! We made it! They actually held the plane a little bit for us. We were so glad to stow away our luggage and find our seats on the big Boeing 777. I had an aisle seat by a couple from Bosnia. Vanita was across the aisle from me. There happened to be an extra seat in our row, so Landon did not have to be held the whole time.
            The United Airlines service was excellent. The flight attendants brought drinks and food, including a hot evening meal. I chose the pasta, which was very good. We thought we would be able to sleep, but none of us slept very much during the 9-hour flight. The sun rose, and at about 2 a.m. our time, we were served a breakfast of coffee, a croissant and yogurt.
            The couple from Bosnia was concerned about making their next flight. If I remember correctly, they were going to Lithuania. They spoke some English but were not fluent. I noticed other people talking to the flight attendant and getting their luggage from the overhead compartments and moving up to the empty seats in the business section. I asked the flight attendant if this couple could move up closer to the front section with their luggage, so they could get off sooner. She said they could, but they didn’t understand her. I told them again (with some acting out and hand motions) that they could get their luggage and move up to the middle section before the plane landed. They both thanked me for helping them. “You understand,” the gentleman said. “I not understand what she say so good.”
            After they moved, I was able to see out the window better, and was excited to get my first glimpse of Germany as the plane began its descent. Terra-cotta red roofs in little villages clustered together in the green countryside. 
After a safe landing, we waited to disembark from the plane. We followed Naomi through the airport and exchanged some cash for euros, which I waved excitedly in the air in front of Vanita. “I have euros!”
            “Mom!” she scolded. “Stop waving your money around in public!” We laughed as I tucked it away in my purse out of sight.
            We went through the proper gate and my passport was stamped for the first time ever! Logan picked up his checked bags, and we headed to the area where people were waiting behind a line. There stood Naomi’s parents, Hans and Linda Scheib, welcoming us with beautiful sunflowers tied with blue and white Bavarian flag colored ribbons for the ladies, German hats for Stan and Logan, and a little t-shirt for Landon. Hans went with Stan and Logan to pick up our rental van, a black 6-speed 7-seater which would accommodate all of us, plus one extra. We agreed to meet at Naomi’s sister’s apartment there in Munich where Lidia had prepared a traditional Bavarian brunch for us. Our adventures in Germany had begun!


          

No comments:

Post a Comment