Tuesday, January 29, 2019

The Icicle


An icicle appeared overnight outside my kitchen window recently. I admired it from my viewpoint at the sink as I swished my dishes around in warm soapy water. It was almost as long as the window – about three feet. I took a picture of the icicle, because I admired it so. Then, more intense winter precipitation added layers to the icicle. It grew, both in girth and length. I was amazed by its tenacity as it clung by icy fingernails to the snow-covered roof’s edge. My husband took a tape measure out one day and reported it was “pretty close to six feet.” Day after day, I admired Mother Nature’s work of art.




Being a writer, I thought I could use the icicle as a simile or a metaphor. The Robert Frost poem, “Fire and Ice” which I used to teach to my students in my American Literature class came to mind. If you have not read the poem, it presents the arguments of some people who believe the world will end in either fire or ice.


In his poem, Frost used “ice” to depict world destruction by hate. My icicle could be analogized in that way. It began cold and small, as hate sometimes does. Then just as other people sometimes jump on the bandwagon to embrace hateful beliefs, small droplets of moisture attached themselves to the icicle, creating a cold monster. My icicle could also be a symbol of destruction. I detoured around it rather than walk underneath it on my way to the mailbox.

Then one day, temperatures rose above freezing, and drops of water dripped off of the shrinking icicle. I imagined, still using the analogy of ice equaling hate, the hate was melting away and becoming more logical and grounded there among the river rock at the edge of my house. I thought about people who become educated about an issue or become acquainted with specific individuals instead of spewing hatred towards a whole group of people. I imagined the water sinking into my lawn and beginning a grassroots effort to bring renewed life and love to next spring.

I pray that the hate in our world will melt away as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment