Thursday, January 23, 2020

Snow Falling Softly on the Pines




Today I notice the snow falling softly as I look out of my living room windows this morning. First come tiny flakes I can barely see, but then they gather strength and increase in size. The white flakes show off best against the tall green pine tree in my front yard. We planted that tree on my daughter Valerie’s 16th birthday. It is huge now. (No offense, Val. It hasn't been that many years ago, right? Pines grow quickly.) I am no good at calculating yardage, or I could tell you how tall it actually is.

I look at the neighbor’s snow-covered fields and our own pastures and pretend to be at a ski resort. I open the doors of my black Grizzly wood stove to see the orange and yellow flames inside and pretend I am lounging in front of a fancy fireplace.



*Slurp* I drink a mocha cappuccino in front of the fire. I’m happy to be cozy at home. I don’t have to pretend about that at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment