Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Germany Adventure - Saying Auf Wiedersehen (Goodbye) - August 8

     We were all packed and ready to return to the USA early this morning! There were hugs and handshakes all around as we said goodbye to the Schieb family. Hans took his own car to see us off at the airport. We ate breakfast at the airport in Munich before going through security to board the airplane. I panicked a little when I was asked by a female security officer where I had been staying. I couldn't remember the name of the town, or how to pronounce it! Naomi rescued me by saying, "Unterumbach."
     Logan practiced his pronunciation, "Oompa-loompa."
     Naomi said, "Logan, it is not Oompa-Loompa; it is Unterumbach!"
     I noticed the security officer could not help but smile a little. Anyway, she let us all pass. I assume she thought if I was a terrorist I would have had my story straight about where I had been!
     Auf Wiedersehen, Germany! Our flight was good from Munich to Chicago, with more excellent service on United Airlines. One steward knew I liked ice water, and he brought it to me throughout the flight when he noticed my glass was empty. We were held on the plane for about half an hour after we landed, because the airplane where we were supposed to go did not move for a while. Although we hurried through the airport, we were told we were not going to make our flight from Chicago to Columbia. A nice United Representative booked us on a later flight. We hopped on a bus to take us to the correct terminal.
     It was actually nice to have some down time. We grabbed some McDonald's, texted family and friends that we were back in the USA, and relaxed in the waiting area. We arrived in Columbia and made it home before midnight. I hugged Logan and Naomi, thanking them for inviting me along for the trip of a lifetime. Vanita and I agreed that everything we saw in Germany far exceeded any of our expectations. It is a beautiful country, and having Naomi and her family as hosts made the trip a more unique experience than any we could have had on our own as tourists. I am so glad I decided to go. It was an amazing experience. While the trip only lasted for days, the memories will last a lifetime!
Goodbye, terra cotta roofs!
Landon was such a good traveler! The Webers all sat together in the back row, and I sat across the aisle.

On the airplane, you can watch where the airplane is at all times.

We flew over Iceland.

I saw Iceland from the plane window!

d
This is Greenland.

No comments:

Post a Comment