Saturday, March 3, 2012

Spaghetti Sauce



Tomatoes growing in the greenhouse.
                Since it is a cold, windy day and my brother-in-law gave me some Italian sausage (Thanks, Bill), I decided it would be a great day to make spaghetti. I searched the trusty Internet, and found a tried and true Olive Garden recipe posted by “mojolah” at http://www.food.com/recipe/the-actual-olive-garden-bolognese-sauce-recipe-spaghetti-sauce-354164  who states that it is the actual Olive Garden recipe, not a replica.  I used Apothic Red wine, a gift from friends (Thanks, Larry and Ellen), a jar of heirloom tomatoes Blaine grew from seed and harvested from the summer of 2011, from seed harvested in 2010, from seed harvested the year in 2009, from seed…you get the idea.  The recipe calls for fresh rosemary and sage, which I happen to have growing in a tub out my back door. Due to the mild weather, the plants were still alive, so I brought some leaves in and chopped them into little pieces. The red sauce simmered for over an hour and filled the house with its rich garlicky aroma. Sourdough bread baked today and a side salad went well with it. I lit a candle and we ate at the dining table. (You may notice I did not iron the tablecloth.)  I could say romantic music was playing in the background, but actually it was Sports Center. Because I love my husband, I had strategically placed his plate and chair so he could watch for updates from the Mizzou game while we ate. Maybe that was more romantic after all.
 
Here is the recipe:

Directions:

  1. Heat oil in a large pan. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic and cook about 5 minutes.
  2. Add meat and cook 10 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  3. Deglaze pan with wine, let it reduce.
  4. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients and stir, simmer for about 1 hour.
  5. Serve over fresh, hot pasta.

3 comments:

  1. I'll never keep up with you in the cooking and gardening department, but the romancing inspires me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I baked my bread today, too. I did not really make anything else from scratch...but I might try this someday. I usually use my home canned tomatoes with the spaghetti seasoning from Sam's. I call that my homemade sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. Tonight I browned some mushrooms, green peppers, and a little fresh spinach, and added the sauce to that. It was good with a slice of sourdough bread and butter!

    ReplyDelete