Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Happy Birthday to My Brother


My only brother's birthday is today. Many times I have been proud of him over the years, but I am more proud of him than ever for his positive attitude as he awaits a double lung transplant. For his birthday, I tried to remember a few of the highlights of our relationship.

Happy Birthday to My Brother


You have been there for me since the day I was born,
Even though you said, “I told Mom I wanted a boy!”
I remember the first time driving the tractor, while you picked up hay,
Daddy explained how to give it gas and put it in gear,
When he yelled, “Whoa” was the moment I realized he neglected to tell me how.
You ran alongside, jumped on the tractor, pulled back the clutch and demonstrated how to stop.
I remember driving home with you in your Chevy, taking the bridge too fast so we could jump a little on the end. (Our little secret, of course.)
I remember you carrying me to the car when my I had appendicitis, because it hurt too much for me to walk,
And feeling honored when you and Freda chose me to light the candles at your wedding.
I remember being scared, but so proud of you for fighting in service of our country,
And the joy the day you brought home that little red-haired baby.
Although they were sad times, I treasure the closeness we all felt as we were together to say goodbye to our parents for the last time.
You are my big brother, and I will love you and treasure the memories we share forever.

4 comments:

  1. I have always loved these pictures of you and Clayton! I love this post and the beautiful relationship it so vividly illustrates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Happy birthday, Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea that you and Clayton were siblings. Freda is in our family; love her! Praying for Clayton!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As you all know, my brother passed away. Freda shared with me that Clayton cried when he read this, and carried a copy with him. I am so thankful I was able to tell him how I felt about him.

    ReplyDelete