Monday, December 3, 2012

Cape Cod Trip - Day Six



The next day we took a trip to Provincetown or P-Town.  We stopped first at The Red Barn gift shop. I bought some souvenirs there made from Wampum carved from the inside of a shell. I also found a real shark’s tooth for Jaron’s “cool drawer” that he keeps all his treasures in. The time we were there flew by. The closer we got to P-Town, the better we could see the ocean. It was so pretty. We learned that Provincetown was where the Pilgrims actually landed first, but after discovering the land was not suitable for farming, they went on to Plymouth. We ate at The Lobster Pot with our new friends Joan  and JoAnn. We both decided to split a lobster salad panini. It was delicious. We climbed up to the roof of a dock and looked out over the water. A ferry was taking cars and trucks across an inlet and sailboats were moored in the blue water. We had fun shopping at the little shops that lined the tiny street. A local who owned an ice cream store shared his experience as a full-timer there. He said that people sometimes suffer from depression in the winter, due to the lack of socialization. He said the counselor always asks, “How were you feeling last summer?” 

I was determined to put my feet in the water, but the sand was so hot! Janie obligingly held all my purchases and purse as I hurried out to the water. To my delight, I discovered the water was cold! It cooled off my feet right away. I ventured out farther and saw a big crab a little deeper, so I did not go toward him. Janie and I were the last ones on the bus, even though we were there at the designated time. 

Our next stop was driving through the ritzy neighborhood of Chatham. The local news reports focused on sharks that had tracking devices on them. They were in the Chatham beach area, because the seals were there. Sharks eat seals, so they follow their food supply. 

 When we returned to the hotel, we had time to dress up and go out to dinner and a show. We went to a buffet that had delicious choices of seafood. I can cross another item off my bucket list, because they had sushi on the bar, and I ate it! We also had shrimp fixed several different ways. A Catholic priest in our group was on vacation, so he wanted to travel incognito and dressed in his regular clothes.  He sat by me, and we shared a table with the Wooten family and Eugene and Nancy Graham. After the meal was time for the show “At the Hop.” These two men sang and told jokes, inviting the audience to sing along. Of course, Nancy, Janie and I did! The funniest part of the show was when a girl came out singing, As she sang to men, she played with their hair, twisting it up into little points on the top. She sang to the priest, and we were all laughing hysterically. She went to Eugene, started to play with his hair, then just shook her head and patted the top of his shiny, bald dome.  Then she returned to the priest and actually sat on his lap. He just blushed, laughed and was a good sport. Of course, our group went wild.  When Nancy stood up to see what instruments they were playing, the entertainer joked, “A standing ovation…a small one.”  We left the restaurant laughing and singing.

No comments:

Post a Comment